Friday, March 20, 2009

Watchman- The Soundtrack

This movie was directed by Zach Snyder and was written by David Hayter and Alex Tsa.

From the ScreenRant Website, and then following the original posting on Hardcorenerdity.com David Hayter posted a letter to fans of the Watchman,
“If the film made you think. Or argue with your friends. If it inspired a debate about the nature of man, or vigilante justice, or the horror of Nixon abolishing term limits. If you laughed at Bowie hanging with Adrian at Studio 54, or the Silhouette kissing that nurse. Please go see the movie again next weekend. You have to understand, everyone is watching to see how the film will do in its second week. If you care about movies that have a brain, or balls, (and this film’s got both, literally), or true adaptations - And if you’re thinking of seeing it again anyway, please go back this weekend, Friday or Saturday night. Demonstrate the power of the fans, because it’ll help let the people who pay for these movies know what we’d like to see. Because if it drops off the radar after the first weekend, they will never allow a film like this to be made again.”
He continues on about the movie. So let me come out and say it, I didn't like the movie, I felt let down. Although after saying that, I would probably watch it again. I do think movies like this should be continued to be made, and I know that with all the hype and long history behind getting this movie made it is bound to let people down. The part for me that was such a strong red flag was the music. What I didn't like about it were the music choices and the long montage segments to very popular songs. These songs, I argue have to much other meaning associated with them to be strong in this movie. The whole opening was to Unforgettable by Nat King Cole- and I felt like it took over the opening segment in a way that I didn't like. At first the song was within the diegesis of the film, on the television channel the character-The Comedian- is watching, but then it swept out of the story and took over. This happened in many instances, I felt uncomfortable with the choices they made everytime the music segments happened. I really just don't understand how those music choices were made or why?

No comments: